Sparks Fly in Albania

“Shqipëri! Shqipëri! Shqipëri!”

Before I knew how to say hello, thank you, or any basic language concept I knew how to say ‘Shqipëri.’ The word echoed the streets of Tirana, the color red painted the sky, and traditional folk music filled the air. Albania had just won their very first goal in a major tournament against Romania on June 19, 2016. You could feel the joy, the relief, and the unity the community of Tirana felt after Armando Sadiku scored the only goal to seal his country’s first ever win at a major competition.

It was an experience to say the least.

Viewing the event 75% through the lens of my camera I found myself drawn to not only loud, emotive expressions but quieter moments as well. I was drawn to the light, color and the smoke from fireworks let off by fans. I was entranced by the handmade gigantic banners over the barricades that read as revolutionary statements. Above all, I was fascinated that age was nothing but a number that night. Fans from as young as three years old to sixty cheered on for their country.

That night I did not only leave with images to look back on, but a true sense of what a strong community is and can be.

-Brittainy Newman

Albanian soccer fans purchase apparel and accessories for the match against Romania in Tirana, Albania on June 19, 2016.

Children watch the Albania match against Romania in Tirana, Albania on June 19, 2016. Albania defeated Romania 1-0.
Albanian soccer fans lift a banner reading "Albania, Eternally Existent" the Group A match against Romania in Tirana, Albania on Sunday June 19, 2016. Albania defeated Romania 1-0.
Albanian soccer fans lift a banner reading “Albania, Eternally Existent” the Group A match against Romania in Tirana, Albania on Sunday June 19, 2016. Albania defeated Romania 1-0.

_DSC8565

Denis Bardhi, 16, celebrates after their country won the Group A match against Romania in Tirana, Albania on Sunday June 19, 2016. Albania defeated Romania 1-0.
Albanan soccer fans celebrates after their country won the Group A match against Romania in Tirana, Albania on Sunday June 19, 2016. Albania defeated Romania 1-0.
Albanian soccer fans celebrate after their country won the Group A match against Romania in Tirana, Albania on Sunday June 19, 2016. Albania defeated Romania 1-0.