In the Beginning….

In my next few blog posts, I’m going to pull entries from my personal journal. It’s interesting to look back and see the evolution of our stay, and as this is our last day, I feel that there isn’t a starting point more appropriate than the very beginning.

June 18th

Sleep deprived and hungry, I arrive in Prishtina, my home base of a city for the next 6 weeks. It’s different than I expected. You can read, and prepare, and familiarize yourself with a place to the best of your ability, but nothing equates to touching down in person and taking it in first hand.

It’s quite spacious.

A single road stretches the 20-minute drive from the airport to the town.

Across from my hotel, a farmer stands with his cows. Venture to your left, and you’ll see Germia Park – full of paths, and trails, and the largest swimming pool that I have ever seen… It’s essentially a mid-sized lake.

Turn to the right, and you’ll find yourself back towards the city, eventually connecting with boulevards named for Mother Teresa and Bill Clinton.

I walk through the park. I walk into town. I buy 4 peaches and a bag of cherries for less than 3 euros.

At 11:30 p.m. I finally find my bed.