NPPA student chapter of the National Press Photographers Association ritnppa@gmail.com

Picture of the Week: Feb. 20, 2018

Congratulations to the winners of this week’s Picture of the Week! Matteo Bracco won 1st place, Brittainy Newman won 2nd place, and Lydia Dye won 3rd place! Congratulations to all!

First Place: Matteo Bracco

A war reenactor portraying an eighteenth-century infantry Frenchman stands guard after firing warning shots at “prisoners” during the Winter Woods Battle event at Old Fort Niagara in Youngstown, N.Y. on Feb. 17, 2018. During the event, the French “captured” museum guests but they were rescued during an ambush by the British.

Second Place: Brittainy Newman

(right) Lisa Schalm’s finance, (left) Rachel Dallas, reaches out to touch their reborn doll in their home in Brockport, NY on Feb. 6, 2018. Both Lisa and Rachel suffer from depression, anxiety, and borderline personality disorder and say that these reborn dolls are the only solution to calm their symptoms. A reborn doll is a manufactured skin doll that has been transformed by an artist to resemble a human infant with as much realism as possible. “Family is the most important thing in the world for me. Without family there’s nothing. In 2008, I put my first born son up for adoption to save my marriage. It was a struggle, especially because 3 weeks later he left me. Within a matter of a month, I lost everything. So that’s what my reborn doll helps me with,” says Rachel.

Third Place: Lydia Dye

Obelia medusa at captured at a magnification of 40x using a Leica SP5, in Thomas Gosnell’s confocal microscope laboratory, at Rochester Institute of Technology, in Rochester, N.Y. on Feb. 13, 2018. The unusually exposed gastric column is revealed as the bottom side of the medusa’s gelatin-filled structure is flipped upside down, similar to an umbrella that has been flipped upside down on a windy day.